As we go about our daily routines, we often forget to take care of our eyes. Our eyes are precious and must be safeguarded against the harmful pathogens that lead to infections. Eye infections can range from mild to severe and could cause permanent damage in some cases. Therefore, it is vital to be aware of the infections that could affect our eyes and ways to prevent them.
Below are five common eye infections and helpful tips on how to prevent them:
1. Conjunctivitis: This is also called pink eye and results from the inflammation of the conjunctiva. It is a highly contagious infection that is caused by both viral and bacterial agents that could spread from person to person. To prevent conjunctivitis, you should avoid touching your eyes with unclean hands and avoid contact with people who have it.
2. Corneal Ulcer: This is an infection of the cornea and can occur due to improper contact lens use, injury, or exposure to contaminated water. To avoid it, use proper contact lens hygiene by cleaning and disinfecting them regularly, wearing protective goggles when swimming, and avoid sharing towels, eye makeup, or other personal items.
3. Styes: A stye is a bacterial infection that occurs along the base of the eyelash or under the eyelid. It causes redness, swelling, and itching. To prevent styes, avoid touching your eyes with dirty hands and ensure that you maintain good hygiene by washing your face thoroughly.
4. Keratitis: This infection affects the cornea and is caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. It is commonly associated with contact lens use and poor hygiene. To prevent it, use clean and disinfected contact lenses, avoid sleeping with contact lenses, and ensure that your hands are clean before handling your contacts.
5. Blepharitis: This is a chronic condition that affects the eyelids and causes redness, itching, and a burning sensation. It results from clogged oil glands or bacterial infection. To prevent it, ensure that you practice good hygiene habits and clean the eyelids thoroughly with warm water and mild soap.
In conclusion, eye infections can be painful and may cause permanent eye damage. Therefore, it is essential to take preventive measures to avoid contracting them. Consulting an ophthalmologist like Dr. Dolan from 2020 Vision in Rochester Hills MI is a valuable step towards keeping your eyes healthy. To schedule your next eye exam, call 248-375-0040. Remember, prevention is always better than cure!